Wednesday 24 August 2016

FaceOff Makeup Remover Cloth*, Does it Work? Comparison to Oil Cleansers and Make Up Wipes


Am I just a perpetual skeptic? Sephora and others have launched no-remover, make up removing cloths which only require the addition of warm water. Show me a "innovative" product and I will want to call its bluff. In this case, I got a shot at the FaceOff Cloth* ($13CDN).

This all natural soft cloth is supposed to remove all types of make up with warm water. This eliminates the need to purchase any other products or to produce waste by disposing of makeup wipes and remover bottles. The cloth is a combination of 80% Polyester and 20% Polyamide.


I am an oil cleanser make-up remover user. I have been so for years and I can't say I'm ever going to change my mind about how effective this method is. However, different folks different strokes and I know a few people who still haven't boarded this slippery but speedy train. 

I do find a place for wipes though, especially on gym days but I hate the idea of all those wipes sitting in a landfill. A reusable cloth heals my conscious even if I'm green washing my consumptive and wasteful makeup habits.


So the question is, did it work? It took off my make up quite well, on par with a make up wipe but it took a lot longer than I would have liked. I had to interspersedly run the cloth under the tap to rewarm it. After giving it a good attempt, my face looked devoid of makeup. However, soaking a cotton round with actual remover revealed trace makeup. This is, for me, on par (or slightly under) to a make up wipe. So if your preferred mechanism of removal is a wipe, then you are going to get about equal performance with these!

However, the cloth has a hard battle against the oil cleansers which (assuming a well performing product) removes all make up without any traces. Still though, a few cons and a few pros. Here is a handy table with things to consider.


Just a note, cleaning the cloth is amazingly easy. The cloth becomes as white as when I opened the box after I scrubbed it with regular body soap (if you really need to know, David and I are still going through our Costco-million-boxes of Lever 2000).

Oil CleansersMake Up WipesFaceOff Cloth
Cost (based on three months use)High

Prices can vary, but at the mid-range a bottle can be $20-30 per 3-5 months.
Medium - High

When on sale, you can buy wipes for $8/25. That's about $24 for three months. But they can also be more or less costly than this. 
Low

$13 every three months, if that.
Removal MechanismOil breaks apart makeup components which dissolve into the oil. The solution then emulsifies with the addition of water and rinses off.The solution in the wipe dissolve makeup as you wipe it away with the cloth.Warm water melts your make up allowing for mechanical removal by wiping with the cloth.
FrictionLow

Its oil...you can imagine that friction would be low here. No tugging or wiping whatsoever.
Medium

You do have to wipe your face with a cloth. Depending on the solution, tugging usually at medium levels.
High

One of the primary mechanisms for this to work is to rub the makeup off with the cloth. Friction and tugging is the highest out of all three options.
SpeedHigh

Even with a double cleans after,  this has been the fastest method of makeup removal.
Medium

Speed depends on how effective the solution in the wipe is. Even so, I often have to go over a spot repeatedly until the makeup is fully removed.
Low

Just like a wipe, I had to go over a spot repeatedly. It took longer than a makeup wipe and I had to constantly rewarm the cloth under running water.
WasteLow - Medium

Bottles can be recycled but you are rinsing oils down the drain. This method probably uses less water than the FaceOff cloth.
High

Every use contributes a new item into a landfill. Just think about that....
Low - Medium

The cloth is supposed to be replaced every three months. If you choose not to, this is less wasteful. However, I had to keep running the tap to rewarm the cloth with warm water.
EffectivenessHigh

The most effective method I've used.
Medium

For the most part, not bad but I wouldn't say it gets rid of everything.
Medium

For the most part, not bad but I wouldn't say it gets rid of everything. On par with a makeup wipe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment