Sunday 3 January 2016

That Party in My Heart


I'm so cool, I wait until the end of the year to listen to all the cool music. As I sat on my couch last night perusing list after list of top 10, 20, 50 albums, songs, new releases of 2015, I laugh at myself for how 'with it' I am. 


Lunching with a friend reminded me of my former self. Noticing a wrist band while eating noodles, he mistook it for entrance to an EDM concert that had happened the day prior. "Did you go to Contact?!" momentarily I saw in his eyes, a vision of how relevant I was. Nope, I just forgot to cut off my gym band this morning. Touching on the topic of music, I couldn't even articulate what my music tastes were anymore. Does passively head bopping to the latest mall streamed radio track count as a preference?

University was the august of my music education. Constantly searching out new sounds, I went to show after show. The Commodore Ballroom was the only legitimate venue and a ticket under $50 meant I was listening to the latest before-they-got-big bands. Squeezing to fronts of stages, I lost a few frequencies of hearing from standing too close to speakers. My crowning achievement was at a Piknic Electronik in Montreal, where I was told that I "danced like I had a party in my heart". Those were golden times. 

As I consider where that former self has gone and if the dance party has truly died, I'm debating whether to go to Excision's show by myself (driving bass lines and flailing arms are not everyone's nirvana) and whether my aged heart could stand the excitement again. And I'm spending this lazy Sunday morning in bed, unbiasedly downloading a glut of albums with the full intention of busting a move on my living room rug later on. Even Grimes, who I'm still not convinced about, is being added into the mix. 

In the meantime, while I wait for these to fill my hard drive and later my headspace, I hear that Madonna has hit the sound of the times with her latest, Kendrick Lamar's album might actually be worth listening to, Madeon released something last year, Porter Robinson and Odesza are both coming to Vancouver in March and somehow Sujian Stevens is still making music. I'm at least glad to be clued in enough to have noticed that Adele, Florence and the Machine, and CHVRCHES all released noteworthy albums in 2015. 

General and Popular Music References:

0 comments:

Post a Comment