Friday 9 January 2015

Currently Reading


1) Obasan by Joy Kogawa
Am I the only BC resident that has never read this during their school years? This common novel study book never made it into my class and I mostly avoided it because of incorrect assumptions that a) school books are boring b) Canadian lit? baahh? I saw this and was reminded that I have never read it and after having read it, was reminded that books are on novel study lists for a reason.

Quickly devouring it in two days, this book is a poetic (but not slow) fictionalized memoir about living on the West Coast of Canada as a Japanese Canadian during the Second World War. It gave me a good education on how this population was shuttled off and forcibly oppressed by the government and an interesting look into Vancouver, BC and Alberta during the time.

2) Crazybone by Bill Pronzini
Picked this up 'cause I was looking for quick mystery read. It's pretty good so far and most of the books in this series are around 200 pages making them easy and swift. I just started but its going quite well and might draw another one from this series.

3) The 100 Year Old Man who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
This book has been floating around my 'to read' list for a long time and with a 40 person long hold list, it seemed like The Rapture would occur before I would get a copy. But, randomly spotting the paperback on the shelf made me lunge for it like a crazy person, leaving me feeling like I won a very small lottery. A sort of magical and fanciful read which is subtly hilarious, the characters are endearing and charming as the accidentally kill criminals and try and escape from the police.

What have you been reading? Any suggestions?

Let's Connect:

0 comments:

Post a Comment