Tuesday 17 December 2013

In the Moment #2: One of Kind Show


(Unfortunately photos in this post were lost due to The Great Deletion of 2014. Some efforts to re-do photos will be made but not all posts will be redone.)

I absolutely love craft fairs so when my friend Yen asked if I wanted to go the One of a Kind show last week, I said a resounding yes!


I went to OOAK a few years ago in Vancouver and had expected about the same thing. But the one in Toronto is massive in comparison (seems like that's always the case). With 26 rows of about 20 stalls each, there was a huge number of vendors present!

All the usual suspects were present. Ceramics, paintings, woodwork and clothing could all be bought. Jewelry, of course, was very readily available and so were body care items like soaps and lotions.




After seeing so many vendors sell the same types of items (although with their own twists), Yen and I started thinking about how difficult it could be to have art as your sole livelihood. It seemed like after seeing more than a few ceramic dishes, we felt that all of them were more or less the same. That's partly why I do like coming to these types of shows. You have a chance to support artists and get something generally more unique than you can find at Crate and Barrel. If you're lucky, the artist is also available for custom orders!



Of course, one of the main highlights for me, as well as a lot of other shoppers, was the food section. Sampling my way through nuts, dried fruit, pate and spreads, to name only a few, was a great way to ruin my appetite! 




And also by the end of the day my hands were SUPER moisturized since I kept trying all the body butters from every vendor. Not to mention, my nose needed a bit of a rest from smelling all the soaps that were available. 



Though I left empty handed, I had a great time and Yen was able to finish off her christmas gifting list. Admission was $12 if you bought it online and there were so many things to see and try that it was very worth it to attend. I can't wait to go to the spring show once that comes around! 

Have you gone to One of A Kind or go to art shows in general?

You can follow me on: Bloglovin' | Instagram | Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment